The post below is loaded with grammatical errors. If you cannot tolerate that, do not read!

I came back home today after being away for a week or so. On arriving on my doorstep I messaged a few friends that I was home safely & instantly, the fun began.

Coming home at 5:30 ish, my friend was with me at 6:30, admitting that she wasn't a cricket fanatic and did not see why the hell I was jumping like mad waiting for the match to begin. It strikes 8, the light is back and we both rush to the other room to see what is happening.

Withing minutes, the score is 2 for 2, with me jumping and screaming on top of my lungs and Aliya getting excited and doing the same. Yes, the not-so-huge-cricket-fanatic. She leaves in a few minutes and I join my family in the living room to scream together. One by one the wickets fall and the cell phone is beeping continuously because we're all having our own commentary sessions ;)

To start off, it's just Pinky on ball-to-ball comments and Aliya messaging every now and then to ask the score. Hashim seems to be lost somewhere & I keep messaging him, cursing him because the last match it was the two of us going text-crazy over cricket & this time he refused to reply.
Aisha apa messages, telling me she misses me and my reactions (I was with her since the past week). Aleena joins in the convo & in a few minutes it's Maham galiyo-fying me about not telling her my number. Emaan's credit suddenly is out and I had apparently misplaced Mj's number & I knew Sam's cell would be off..oh hell with it..I already had enough people on my hands to message.

All of us going were going crazy, praying, messaging, praying praying praying for our happiness, our chance to ignore the humiliation we faced - for another chance basically. The Twenty20 World Cup.

Hashim messages, telling he was out of credit, we're batting now and he asks for ball to ball updates since he's on his way to his friends house. Our Boom Boom Boy (Boom boom BOMB for Pinky) comes on and and the very same second Pinky, Aleena & Hashim text me Virtual Kisses intended for Afridi. Yes, Hashim too. I know, err! Last minute prayers are being said, Touch advertisements are being criticised, Malinga is being called Malanga (by me, ofcourse), we're jumping in our seats and then, our boy takes the final run & let's not ignore his half century!

We won. Pakistan won the T20 World Cup. We're 'aw'ing over the sajday the team is making, dad's already saying his shukranay ke nafl, Hashim is on the phone, I'm screaming on top of my lungs texting 5-9 people at a time, my brothers are going insane, the phone's ringing off the hook -- Our boys are bringing the World Cup back home!

Dad is excited & wants to go out. That's where I saw the true happiness. They weren't scared, there were no blasts, there was music, there were flags, there were naray "PAKISTAN ZINDABAD" / "BOOM BOOM AFRIDIIII", there were Pakistanis all over, united, so damn happy Mashallah. I saw people from the age of 5 (believe me) till --errr-- yeah, every age! Their heads were high with pride, there were flashes of green and white everywhere. They were Pakistanis and for the first time in years, they were not ashamed of that.

We won. Our country won. We all are so damn happy. The boys have made us so proud! Mashallah, Allah buri nazr se bachaey ab! =D

A few interesting facts:

  • Pakistan lost the 1999 World Cup from Australia, the same date, in the same stadium. Australia did not even make it to the Super Eights (cheers!) & we won the World Cup today!
  • The 1992 World Cup Pakistan won: The team had decided that if they win, they will donate the money for a good cause. From that money, the Shaukat Khanum Hospital project was initially started. In 2009 (present series) our team said they'll donate the money to the IDP's. Result of both things: We won the World Cup.

These 2 things I got to know from various people. Don't barsofy on me if they aren't true.

And PPP supporters, I advice you not to read the next 2 lines!
Rehman Malik said the World cup victory is because of Benazir Bhutto's birthday. Dude, wtf? She's not a goddess, I promise! Koi khushi politics se duur rehnay do! *blekh*

I know the post is unusually long but we're celebrating victory. *mwah*

Thank you, boys! For everything.

11 Comments:

  1. Xeb said...
    "Rehman Malik said the World cup victory is because of Benazir Bhutto's birthday."

    Idiots.
    Anushay. said...
    I know
    Maryam said...
    Han han jeet gaye yay yay - BUT TUM WAPAS AA GAI HO??!!!
    Sophia Ali said...
    Hey Girl...you are so euphoric...I know how much it means to you...

    Even the Indian media is full of heroic deeds of your country...

    Glad to see you back on the blogging circuit...
    Roshni said...
    We won. wo0t...Truly.needed.this. =D
    Anushay. said...
    Mano: let us celebrate babyyy. Yes I am! =D

    Sophia: It's a relief for us amidst this crap going on =D Thank you! =D

    Broken: Celebrations, please?
    Lonely Perverted Soul said...
    Yea it was crazy.. Fun.. And ecstatic...Loved every bit of it... Had a lot of fun with frnds...
    Americanising Desi said...
    ohh ohh! i see the pumping!
    Roshni said...
    Celebrations for sure. Can't beleive they disappointed all those fans at Lahore Airport....suckers.
    siras said...
    It was an awesome victory, wasn't it. :D
    Aly said...
    umm, Bibi's birthday was on 25th.. we won on 21st...
    i see No-connection what so ever
    zzzzzz

Post a Comment